The Ever Fonky Lowdown
This recording is only available as an MP3 or hi-res WAV digital download.
Featuring the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra and guest vocals from Camille Thurman, Ashley Pezzotti, Christie Dashiell, and Doug Wamble, the Lowdown is a funky jazz parable for 2020. It covers terrain from football to politics, from power to poverty, from love and romance to betrayal and corruption; it will make you dance and think. The Ever Fonky Lowdown is a horn-fueled survey of the political malaise and cultural decay now plaguing America—and how Marsalis suggests we might be able to rise above the structures that have been holding us back for centuries.
- We Are the Greatest (Instrumental)
- Mr. Game Speaks: I Am a Winner
- We Are the Greatest
- Mr. Game: Success Is My Middle Name
- They/Let’s Call Them This
- Mr. Game: Beware! They’re Going to Cause Problems
- The Ever Fonky Lowdown in 4
- Mr. Game: Talk Is a Waste of Time
- I Don’t Like Nobody but Myself
- Mr. Game: We Must Strike First! (Trust Me)
- The Drums of War
- Mr. Game: The Mandates of Our Democracy
- Consideration Blues/I Know I Must Fight/The Drums of War Return
- Mr. Game: Who Is We?
- What Would the Savior Think?
- Mr. Game: Winners Don’t Reflect, We Celebrate
- Some for Me, None for You
- Mr. Game: We’re Number One!
- The Ever Fonky Lowdown in 5
- Mr. Game: They Deserved Everything They Got
- Night Trader
- Mr. Game: They, Too, Want to Be Winners
- Mr. Good Time Man
- Mr. Game: Shame Is for Losers
- Because I Want to, Because I Like to, Because I Can
- Mr. Game: A Ridiculous Plea
- I Wants My Ice Cream
- Mr. Game: Somebody’s Got to Rule
- The Ever Fonky Lowdown in 6
- Reprise: What Would the Savior Think?
- The Ever Fonky Lowdown in 5 & 6
- Mr. Game: Your First Prize
- Isms, Schisms
- Mr. Game: Your Second Prize
- Where Has the Love Gone?
- Mr. Game: Your Third Prize
- Consider This ‘Bout the Filth We Love
- Mr. Game: Your Fourth Prize
- Everybody Wear They Mask
- Mr. Game: You Love These Prizes Because You Live Them
- The Ever Fonky Lowdown in 7
- Mr. Game: Your Wildcard
- I Got a Nagging Feeling
- Mr. Game: The Freedom Fighter: Fannie Lou Hamer
- The Ballad of Fannie Lou: Part 1
- The Ballad of Fannie Lou: Part 2
- Mr. Game: Just Let the Memories of Them Die
- Why Do We Pick Slavery over Freedom?
- Mr. Game: Your Last Prize (The Best One)
- Reprise: The Ever Fonky Lowdown in 4
- Reprise: I Wants My Ice Cream
- I Know I Must Fight
THE JAZZ AT LINCOLN CENTER ORCHESTRA WITH WYNTON MARSALIS
2019-20 CONCERT SEASON
†Did not perform at this recording session
“A particularly important album in the moment that we find ourselves in...I recommend it highly. When everything is in teams - Democrats and Republicans, Blue and Red, Black and White - [Wynton] is pushing against that in this atmosphere.” - Bill Maher on Real Time with Bill Maher
“An amazing record that speaks to our moment. A wonderfully cohesive album that is riveting from front to back.” - Jazziz
“Best Wynton record in years. Is America ready for the wit and knowingness of Wynton's very own Fables of Faubus?" - Marlbank
“...Lowdown is an unmistakable call to what Marsalis has repeatedly called for acuity to recognize ‘what is going on.’”- London Jazz